Dry Ice and it’s fog; This is one of the most interesting experiments in chemistry.
Typically it is used in home parties. It is known all over the world less or more. An
extremely popular experiment for children. Very easy and famous experiment. Today not only we learn it’s experiment but along with the process of making it. Ain’t sound this awesome? Well, exactly. Let’s move into the game.
1.How to make dry ice?
2.How to apply it for having nice little fun?
1. Process of making dry ice :
- Carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. ( Typically found in restaurants, mechanical rooms, kitchens, offices, rooms with sensitive equipment ).
- Cloth bag (A pillow case).
- Heavy-duty gloves.
- Put the heavy-duty gloves on first.
- Place the nozzle of CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) fire extinguisher into the pillow case.
- Seal that tightly as nothing much CO2 can come out as gas.
- Remove the locking pin from the extinguisher’s handle. (Normally the tank remains full with liquid CO2, but it comes out as gas with little chunks of dry-ice snow when squeezing down the handle.)
- Then squeeze the handle and give it a blast. (The vapor will be cold and get trapped at the bottom of the bag)
- When the enough portal and On-demand dry ice are made, wipe that off as you are pulling it out.
- Now make sure you have worn the heavy-duty gloves cause dry ice could be minus 78 degree celsius. It’s extremely cold.
- Alright, works are done. Now remove the newly formed dry-ice from the close bag and Have fun.
- It can be dangerous if you don’t put the gloves on before touching it. Because the stuff is really really cold that can freeze your skin cells.
- Keep your hands far away from the mouth of the fire extinguisher.
- Carbon dioxide gas must be labeled.
- Don’t ever try to eat dry ice.
- Make sure you use it in a well-ventilated room.
- Keep your children, pets far away while making it. Cause, too much CO2 is kinda dangerous and toxic. CO2 can be fatal while you breath it in excess. Just don't, ok, thanks.
Ok, well enough. Now, it’s time to have a FUN experiment and Enjoy.
2. How to make the perfect fog using dry ice?
Dry ice usually is the solid form of CO2. It is cooled and condensed by Carbon-Dioxide. Dry ice skips the melting process. It directly sublimates into carbon dioxide gas. That’s the actual fun of it. So, let’s see.
- A container of 2 litres. ( Plastic or pyrex container )
- Hot water
- Dry ice
- Put a towel on a table.
- Place your container on the towel.
- Add enough pieces of dry ice into the container.
- Then add warm water in the container. ( It would be better if you are using a kettle for a pre-measure amount of water. Always better to add much water than not enough. If you use boiling water make sure the kettle has rested for at least 3 minutes. )
- Works are done. Now you will see your MAGIC.
As the fog is heavy and carrying CO2, So don’t allow anyone to lie down in this fog because too much Carbon Dioxide is toxic.